Monday, February 20, 2017

Fuming - the saddle saga continues

My long awaited "completely reworked" saddle arrived at last. I was very excited but also nervous to try it on Friday. Somehow I just had a feeling... but I sure hoped my feeling would be off.


Sure enough, though, my gut was right (once again, I might add). As soon as I got on Remy I knew: Nothing had changed. I was so frustrated and angry I almost cried. I mean - I ordered the saddle last August!! it felt horrible when I tried it a couple of months ago, then it went back to the saddle maker... only to show up again practically unchanged. I still felt I needed to give it more time so I rode in it during my lesson. The good news: Remy was fine. The bad news: It killed my seat bones and my back, especially in the walk. So, once again, the saddle has to go back, but this time for good.


"Plan B" is that I try other styles, but I'm not very hopeful, as the Triumph is really the one I absolutely love and that fits me. Adding the relief wedge to make it better for Remy's back hurts my back in return. This should not be the case, obviously, so I'm not sure what happened. Argh! And note to self: Do NOT pay major investments with a check, obviously, I won't get my down payment (50% of the total cost) back. Credit card is the way to go.


Remy has been working really well, even doing three clean changes on the diagonal. He is humming along, and I just try to keep us together. A few things to remember: I need to keep the RPMs revved up. For the turns on the haunches I have to picture haunches in on the long side. In the half-passes Remy's head has to point to where we are going, and the haunches have to follow, thinking haunches in.


With all the good work behind us the weekend sunshine beckoned for a trail ride, the first of this year. Incredibly the temps were in the 50s (remember, this is Michigan). Chambord, as always, was the trail blazer, bravely marching through the mud. Clearly both boys were uneasy with the squishy footing. Remy started out grumpy and looking for excuses to jump around. I knew it: He had to pee. Sure enough, once he found the right spot to relieve himself I had a different horse: Soft, supple, happy and relaxed.


I jokingly chided him for being difficult, and I could almost hear him respond: "Well, YOU try to navigate muddy footing with your legs crossed!" Well, Remy, perhaps you can learn to go BEFORE, so we don't have to desperately search for a bathroom for you in the middle of nowhere. And no, I won't carry tissues.

No comments:

Post a Comment