Saturday, May 29, 2021

Applying corporate tools to my riding - and learning by observing

Long- and short term strategic planning was a huge part during my corporate life, and I still use the tools that I applied then. For example: SWOT Analysis. 

SWOT stands for Strength, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. It is a study to identify internal strengths and weaknesses, as well as external opportunities and threats. It has been VERY helpful to dig in and assess where Remy and I are, what we need to work on, and setting short-term and long-term goals. Being around a barn full of talented performance horses and riders sometimes makes me feel like the underdog, especially as Remy and I are not part of the full training/boarding package. I basically pull Remy out of the pasture, clean him up, saddle him, have him load himself on the trailer, and off we go to our lesson. But actually, that can go on the 'Strength' column, as Remy lives a very healthy and balanced life with his friends, and is less prone to stress and ulcers. 

Food for thought: I attended an excellent webinar with Amanda Burton (tilefieldequestrian.com), where she pointed out that in the wild, horses are living in big groups and are able to chose their friends. In a training setting, most horses are turned out alone, or only with one or very few others. "They are more work colleagues than friends". Imagine having to spend your outside time in a small enclosure with your least favorite colleague --  Luckily, Remy has his BFF at his side, and all four boys have room to roam should the friendship go through a rough phase. 

I am a visual learner, and it helps me a lot to see how things should look like. Vanessa is always happy to get on Remy to show me how it's done. It has multiple benefits: Remy gets expert training, I get to see how it should look like, and when I get on I profit from Vanessa's work as Remy is still very much 'on'. 
 
Watching like a hawk


"Der Apfel faellt nicht weit vom Stamm" (The apple doesn't fall far from the tree).
Emil (my dad), in the uniform of the German forestry service


No comments:

Post a Comment