Sunday, September 25, 2016

Not the best of times - it's hard to say good-bye

Well, what's been in the cards for a while now has become painfully obvious: It's time to say good-bye to Max. Max is one of our Viszla's, the gentlest of dog souls you can ever meet. He has been with us for almost 13 years. He was a 'failed' (gun shy) hunting dog, so obviously the breeder/hunter had no use for him. He was the runt of the litter and afraid of his own shadow, but turned into the most loving companion ever. There is a reason why Viszlas are also called "Velcro-Dogs" - they stick to you like Velcro.


He used to come with me and Saumur to our lessons at Julie's in Saline, patiently waiting for us to be done. I even took him with me XC schooling, and as they requested a companion listed on the registration form (no schooling alone) I entered Max. Not sure what he would have done should I have come off, though? Probably licked me until I got up.


Over the last months his health declined and he became very frail, so we knew we didn't have long. North of 13 is ancient for a large dog. But even last Thursday he still went out on his run in the woods with Jaas. But then he took a turn for the worse yesterday. It is clear it's time, even though Max doesn't seem to be in obvious pain he has stopped eating and can barely get up. Our regular vet doesn't answer the phone on the weekend, so I was getting really worried because we don't want Max to suffer. Luckily -or actually not to lucky because she had to go through it with her dog- a friend of mine recommended "Lap of Love" Veterinary Services. They provide hospice care and end of life services. The appointment is tomorrow.


I talked to my dad yesterday (he had hunting dogs most of his life, and as we always joked, first came the dogs then the rest of the family), and he reminded me that we have to consider ourselves lucky: Almost 13 wonderful years together, and we can make his passing peaceful at home. So, as I'm wiping away the tears, yes, indeed, that is what is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment