Saturday, December 23, 2017

Did I finally find my Holy Grail of Saddles? - Perhaps, but it first needs massage

Well, Thursday was the day: My new Schleese Tribute finally arrived. The whole new saddle process took about 15 months. Normally it takes three months for a custom saddle, but the one I had ordered previously was built wrong so it had to go back. Other saddles along the same line I tried also felt "off" (like sitting on a 2 by 4).  Luanne (the saddle fitter) is a super knowledgeable and patient professional and without her I would have given up on Schleese. After much trial and lots of "nope, not liking it" I finally ordered the Tribute - but not before swallowing very hard at the price tag.

The Tribute I test rode was beautiful, two tone with floral tooling. I liked the feel, but not the looks. Too flashy for me ... and as Judy reminded me "If you show up in this you better ride darn well". Duly noted! So I designed it to my liking :-)


With all the trials and tribulations to get the saddle I was pretty nervous to ride in it. Even though I rode in a demo and liked it, there was a chance that it could be different as every saddle is unique because it's hand crafted. What if it didn't fit/feel good to me and/or Remy?? I gingerly gave it a try with Luanne watching with an eagle eye. Well, Remy had a new swing to his step immediately. Whew! I rode it in my lesson on Friday and more Whew! Judy liked how Remy was going and my position after some fumbling around on my part. It's a bit more challenging for me to find my 'sweet spot' due to a more forward balanced seat..

All is well... except... the lower edges of the flaps are darn stiff.  No worries, says Luanne: "JP just has to massage the flaps this weekend and it will be fine".  Somehow I don't think massaging a saddle was JPs plan for Christmas ... pass the Woodford Reserve*, please!

*Kentucky Bourbon

No comments:

Post a Comment