Friday, May 11, 2018

Seems we got our Mojo back - and when one thing doesn't work try something else

Today was day three of lessons with Roz. It's been a steady progression, and it seems Remy and I got our Mojo* back. Without me having to fight for each breath we both have been getting 'in the zone', working through Roz' program from walk warm-up to flying changes. Remy feels like a different horse. In hindsight, I am sure my heavy breathing and tight body confused and actually blocked him. I can now concentrate on him and giving him correct and subtle aids instead of trying to find a way to suck in enough air through the mask. Win-Win - if you ask Remy and me!

Roz' program and philosophy jives with us: When one thing doesn't work don't stick with it and repeat it ad nauseam. It will most likely go downhill from there. Instead, try something else. All roads lead to Rome, as the saying goes. Case in point: Our flying changes. I've been trying them on the diagonal where they were hit or miss. Repetition led to tension and frustration. Roz has us work with subtle exercises, like haunches-in in the canter to make Remy more responsive to the leg aids. Counter canter on the rail proved to be the magic trick: The changes were easy - and the reward was not doing them again.

We went back to trot to see if the canter did improve the trot - which was the case. However, the trot half-passes to the left needed work. Remy got frustrated when I repeated it too often for his taste (see above about repetition leading to tension and frustration...I am blonde, what can I say??). He voiced his displeasure by going into the canter, and clearly saying: Lady, I don't get what you want. Be clear! So Roz to the rescue, she asked me to think of having the haunches lead close to the last quarter-line (haunches leading is normally a no-no for the half-pass) but that image did the trick: Big improvement.

Remy and I left the arena happy and relaxed - what more can you ask? Nothing more - especially as our incomparable "Mann fuer alle Faelle" (man for all situations = go-to guy = JP) was happy, too.

Seems we all got our Mojo back. Correction: JP says he never lost his!


*The word “mojo” derives from an African language and relates to magic and spells to generate luck and power. In today's language, the word still refers to a source of vigor, energy, sexual potency and power.



No comments:

Post a Comment