Friday, May 4, 2018

The "artisanal approach" to training - and getting used to "Equine home schooling"

Remy, JP and I made our way this week to an evaluation lesson with Roz. I had ridden with Roz a few times previously when she gave clinics at Judy's, and really enjoyed her style of teaching: If one thing doesn't work then let's just try another exercise to get there. So when I was contemplating my 'Plan B', Roz immediately was on top of my list. However, the question was, would I make it on her list? Roz is very selective and can chose her students. As JP puts it: Her approach is "artisanal". I was very happy that she would consider Remy and me.

Our new relationship got off to a rocky start, though. I had googled the address, and sure enough, the address that came up for the barn led us to an abandoned property, covered with chains and padlocks, and numerous "No Trespassing!" signs. (Note to self: Don't rely on Google! If you go somewhere, ask the people you will meet for the address). We got quite lost on those dusty country roads, with nary a way to turn around the trailer. Even the friendly sheriff we found lying in wait for speeding cars couldn't help. 

After some phone tag with Roz I got the correct address and we made it at last. It is not a huge, fancy set up, the barn is rather small and intimate. The indoor arena is large and has good footing. Best of all: I can breathe!!

So we are trying a schedule where I trailer in twice a week and the rest of the time Remy is home schooled. Roz will give me exercises to work on, and I'll throw in work in hand, long reining, and trail riding. Only fly in the ointment: The weather! Currently our outdoor arena looks like a set up for aquatic exercises. Pass the swim fins, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment