Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Finally Fun with Changes - and I'll take that compliment!

 Remy has been a very good student recently. We finally can play with flying changes and have fun! Both he and I had some 'legacy issues' to overcome, but with the help of Roz it's become a different ballgame. Changes (luckily!) are easy for Remy, but we had to go way back to the drawing board for a while to get the correct canter with enough 'spring' to get on the right path. 

Today we've been trying a new weymouth bit, a "Neue Schule Thoroughbred". It's thinner and lighter than the Herm. Sprenger I've been using, and straight. Also, we know that Remy has sensitivity on his bars, and this bit promises to alleviate bar pressure. I felt Remy taking a much better connection, so hopefully that continues. The bit is a rental, so we have two weeks to see if it's a keeper (at those prices, rentals first a the way to go). 

Chambord has been a bit troublesome, in that he expressed his opinion about being uncomfortable by unseating JP. That is highly unusual for him, and we noted that Chambord was dragging his left hind toe through the sand, not using the leg and stepping under. I suspected arthritis in his hock (Chambord is 16), and the vet exam yesterday confirmed it with the x-rays. Not super serious, luckily, but enough to decide to get his hocks injected. First time in all my years of horse owning! I always prefer the non-invasive route first, and I'm no fan of "he's not going well, let's inject him", but in this case, it was warranted. 

Next steps for both Remy and Chambord: Saddle fitting session tomorrow. No wonder I get my clothes from the bargain bin :-). 

With all the scary news and negativity I felt we needed something uplifting - and when I saw this poster I knew I had to have it for the bathroom:

I take a compliment anyway I'll get it :-) 




No comments:

Post a Comment