Monday, July 18, 2011

Another kind of gambling addiction: Dressage Shows!

We had a very good show at Waterloo this weekend, Saumur received his highest score to date at 3rd level: a 65.12%. We won two classes, got a third place, and ended up overall with the 3rd level reserve championship. I was just so thrilled!

Our schooling on Thursday, however, was quite tough and it didn’t bode well, IMO, for the things to come. It started out nice, but then both Saumur and I (OK, me more than him) got distracted when a Grand Prix rider schooled in the same arena and always seemed to cross our path. Without focus the movements, especially the flying changes, didn’t happen (duh!). Sandy’s remedy: TRANSITIONS. To quote her: “It’s NOT about the flying changes, it’s about the TRANSITIONS!”. I swear, I drove home that night with nothing but the repeat beat of “Canter-Walk-Canter-Walk” in my head. Good thing it didn’t affect my driving (I’m not fond of transitions when driving either, it’s more speed than transitioning down in into a slow gear!).

The Friday classes went well, despite the heat. Sandy, Francis, Cindy, JP and I had a fun dinner at Metzger’s, a German restaurant, that evening. Two Warsteiner (beers) and I was feeling no pain.

Saturday noon brought the high score 3-2 ride. Unfortunately, the next ride was at 5 p.m. – and a qualifying one to boot. Despite the cooling vest I had no energy left. I literally wilted in the over 90F weather. Of course, it might have helped if I had eaten something since breakfast... We missed the qualifying score by 0.6%. The goal for next time: Electrolytes and Food (BEFORE the ride).

The great thing about the weekend was that this was really the first show where I was relaxed and happy to be there. I didn’t get nervous, and not a panic attack in sight! It was fun chatting with the other competitors, and of course it didn’t hurt that I got a lot of compliments on Saumur’s progress. I am never tired to point out that we wouldn’t be where we are without Sandy, Jean-Paul, and yes, of course, Francis. His pep-talks are legendary!

So, now I know how gamblers feel: First comes the anticipation (going to a show), then the action (riding), followed by the suspense of waiting for the result (what’s the score?) to the high of winning – or the low of losing. Good thing I ‘only’ have the horse addiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment