Thursday, July 14, 2011

Riding "with authority" - and JOY

My last two lessons were really good. Somehow it seems something 'clicked' -- Sandy thinks that getting through the Traverse City experience had something to do with it. I am really riding with more purpose, what Sandy calls "with authority".

Yesterday we did our 'angst-exercise' (flying changes) all over the arena. No drama! They key is that I have to remember is that the half halt has to work, otherwise Saumur falls on his forehand and loses his balance.

Well, off to Waterloo we go today. Saumur is traveling with Daughtry again and I'll join them tonight for a schooling session.

Here is something I read in Catherine Haddad's blog yesterday, and it really hit home:
"The key here is JOY, Rita. I train my horses in the art/sport of dressage because it creates joy—in both my horses and me. My goal in competing has always been to bring that joy to the show ring and present it for the public to see. And when I can achieve that, I am always successful no matter what marks are given at the end of the day. But when I lose the joy of riding because I am traveling too much to maintain my level of excellence, I cannot find solace in anything I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment