Monday, August 8, 2011

Hard work, morale boost, and a proud horse

George Williams clinic at Southview Farm: Intense instruction in 90F Heat and Humidity – and I had two of the best rides ever!

Saturday George focused almost entirely on our canter work. I had told him of the difficulties I am still having with the 3-3 movements of halfpass to X, straight ahead, then change. George had us work on it differently: canter halfpass to X, straight, then halt and rein back. He agreed that especially with Saumur we cannot practice elements exactly as they are in the test, as Mr. SmartyPants figures it out right away and takes over. George recommended that especially in the warm up at the shows not to ride exact sections of the tests. We also worked on collecting the canter, getting Saumur to carry more weight behind, with me really taking a risk of Saumur breaking into to the trot.

I was so focused I didn’t notice the intense heat and humidity or anything else. I truly felt like I could ride! Saumur tried his big heart out, and sure enjoyed the applause he received after the lesson. Sandy told me she was really proud of us, and that somebody came up to her and asked “who is this woman, is she your student? She is riding really well”. Of course, that went down like oil (not sure if that is an expression used in English?). Boy, after the depressing judges at Copper Creek I really needed that!!

Sunday George had us work on the canter again, this time with the flying changes. Key is to have Saumur really on the aids (that, of course, is nothing new, I just have to DO it). It is all in the preparation. I need to remember to really collect Saumur in the corners before the half passes, then we just float. We also worked on trot shoulder in to 10 m half circles to half pass. Another exercise we did (really fun!) was medium canter along the long side, with a collected 10 m circle at the end. All this while a huge thunderstorm was pelting down on his, with rain so hard it drowned George’s voice out despite the speakers. Saumur unflinchingly focused and didn’t put one foot down wrong, despite the noise and rain coming through the doors.

It is so rare having two great rides in a row and I sure will savor it for a very long time! My only regret is that I didn’t have it on tape. I would have loved to actually see my rides. It also gave me a big boost when George told me not to listen to any judge telling me that Saumur is not ready for that level, that this is just not true. According to him, Saumur talented and able to do the work. It was funny to see Saumur after our lesson: he was craning his neck left and right “I was good, wasn’t I?! Where are the treats?? Please admire me!”

JP, of course, went in for the kill… he rode Chambord in the arena after the clinic while George was in the observation room watching. George told him that Chambord is a nice horse and JP is doing a good job with him. So JP deadpanned and asked George to promise not to retire in the next 15 years, so he can sign up to ride with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment