Monday, November 12, 2012

Moving into 'dressage college' - and not baptizing the floor just yet

The boys are settled in their ‘college dorm’. Amazing how much stuff there was to take! I felt like we were moving the entire household. But luckily we found a spot for everything in Judy’s track room. I like the area where their stalls are, it’s bright and sunny (that is, if the sun actually shines, which won’t happen today).

On Saturday we had great lessons. Remy surprised both Judy and me by being just the attentive student. JP is always rooting for Remy, so he was gloating. Saumur was very good, too. I have to stop marveling on how well he deals with the indoor arena, and focus on our work. While warming up I overheard Judy telling another student “hips before the shoulders”. As my shoulders are still (uh, yes) a problem, I repeated “hips before shoulders” in my mind while riding Saumur. It sure worked!

When I have two lessons back to back JP is grooming and also observing my lessons. It is really interesting and helpful to get his feedback. He relates what Judy is saying (that I can’t hear when I am on the other side of the arena) and also what he notices. For example, he pointed out that I don’t seem to take the advice of “talk to him” (talking to the horse, i.e. to slow down, or for encouragement) too well. JP also noted that overall my position is getting better – yay!!

Sunday I reciprocated for the grooming and went on a trailride with JP. Although – it was a different kind of trailride: JP was riding Chambord, and Teddy and I were keeping up with them. Turns out, Teddy and I can easily outwalk Chambord! Quite a work out, though, and Teddy was clearly tired on the way home. His short legs had a lot of moving to do. After that warm up I drove to Judy’s and worked Remy. What a good boy: In the high winds some part of the roof came lose,  producing a lot of sudden and sharp noises. Remy did not take this as an excuse the act up, for which I praised him lavishly. I really didn’t want to ‘baptize’ the floor of the indoor arena just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment