Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"I'm tired of having to spoon feed grown ups - so get with the program!"

Poor Remy - he got the fall out of the frustrations I had at work in the last days. Of course, there are always good days and not so good days, but you just have to roll with it and do the best you can while keeping a good attitude. Lately, though, it seems my fuse has become shorter - I am pretty sick and tired of having to nurture along grown up middle aged men simply to do their job in a positive and pro-active manner. Don't get me wrong, I love mentoring the new and eager recent college graduates, or new employees that don't have the particular experience yet. But drag your feet and make me spoon feed you and I get rather prickly. It's all in the attitude!

What does that have to do with Remy and my riding? A lot! As Judy reminds me frequently: He is trained now (to his age appropriate level). Time to step up and do the job without me having to negotiate, and often getting some half-hearted attempts in return. This is how it used to go: "Using my hind legs? What hind legs?" "Do I have to do this NOW?" "Are you sure you want me to do this? Really?" "Can't I just pretend I'm working?" So I subconsciously stepped up the ante for Remy today. I didn't set out and said "you must to this or else" - but when I asked for a response to a a question I wanted a prompt answer.

Wouldn't you know it: it worked beautifully. For the first time in a long time I had real fun again! Judy even ventured so far as to say that I rode better than before the accident. Remy, smart guy that he his, figured it out quickly ("ah, I have to work for you like I do for Aunt Jude"), didn't argue, and worked happily. Clear rules: I lead the dance, but we both do our parts, no if's, but's, or maybe's. And to sweeten the deal: Give me your best, honest and cheerful try ... and there will be a 50 pound bag of carrots in the wings!


No comments:

Post a Comment