Tuesday, September 1, 2015

"Not spectacular - but solid" - as summer camp draws to an end

We conquered the noisy bridge today. On Sunday I didn't insist when Remy balked as I had images in my mind's eye of us sailing over the metal rails and into the brook. Brandt explained today the importance of moving Remy's hindquarters, not worry so much about the front. And sure enough, it worked.


The pond provided Remy with a new experience: He caught sight of a flock? of fish (actually, a group of fish is called a school, if you really want to know). Remy was fascinated and stuck his nose right into the water. "Hi, my name is Remy, and who are you??"


Walk, trot, canter: Check. 10m canter circles: Check. Leg yields: Check. Shoulder in: Check. Half-Pass: Room for improvement. Transitions: Check. And all that in the great outdoors, no arena in sight.


As our time at "Camp Brandt" draws to an end this week I can honestly say that all four of us greatly enjoyed it and made significant progress. Especially Remy and I gained a ton of confidence. So I guess when JP pronounced our ride "not spectacular but solid" it was a confirmation that we accomplished what we had set out to do.


And really, I take 'solid' over 'spectacular incident' any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment