Saturday, December 10, 2016

He gives me the middle hoof - and we have a script

Yesterday we had the huge indoor all to ourselves - and instead of riding I decided to change the program and longe Remy. Who wants to do the same thing over and over? But longing for me doesn't mean just let him play. We worked a lot on transitions, walk-canter-walk, trot, etc. I switch sides every five minutes. Remy seemed happy, especially because I also let him put some bucks in.


It paid off today, Remy was supple, loose, and ready to work - despite the 22F temps. I was happy, not also because he felt good but also because the cold air keeps whatever lurks in the indoor footing at bay and I can breathe. No time to rest on our laurels, though, when it came to his flying changes Remy was slow to my leg, and either changed late or stayed in counter canter. Judy suggested to use the whip as aid, and boy did it bring up Remy's middle hoof! He kicked out, jumped forward with his head in the air.. but changed clean and prompt. And wouldn't you know it, from there on he was a "Muster-Schueler" (star-student).


So, for right now I think we have a script: If Remy is slow to my leg I touch with the whip, he gives me the middle hoof, I ignore it, and we both happily move on.


Wish it would be that easy with some people!

No comments:

Post a Comment