Friday, September 1, 2017

The best thing I ever did for myself - and "till next summer at the DHP camp!"

The last eight weeks went by in an heart beat, it seems. I can't believe I had anxiety attacks about leaving my job, it actually was the best thing I ever did for myself!

The "present to myself" in form of volunteering at Detroit Horse Power was a great experience. For sure I am fitter than before, all that walking and trotting next to the horses build stamina. Although, in the heat of the day outdoors I wished for a bit less 'stamina-building'. I learned a lot, also about myself. Guess what? Kids are not that scary ;-) I got along best with teenage boys, go figure (probably not that much of a surprise, given all the men I worked with over the last decades). And James, I will always fondly remember you for your "Women are often better leaders".

My fellow volunteers were also amazing, from the dedicated high-school and college students with a super attitude and work ethic to a Colonel that had spent 30 years in the army and had been captured (and subsequently rescued) in the Middle East. The Colonel had fascinating stories to tell, and he endeared himself to all of us by telling that he was invited to ride in the inaugural presidential parade "but I just couldn't bring myself to do it for this president".

This week we had volunteers from FCA. FCA offers the employees 18 paid hours a year to spend at a charity. These "volunteers for a day" didn't have any horse experience but cheerfully helped out where needed. One young engineer was incredibly caring with the special needs student we had.

There are so many good memories and stories to tell. Just this week I had a young girl who never had been near a horse, let alone rode one. She told me she was very nervous. The photographer overheard it and said to her "Don't worry, honey, Birgit is a very good teacher and will take good care of you". And wouldn't you know it, the student relaxed and off she went riding - with a smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment