Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Am I a "Helikopter Mutter"?? - and I want more, more, more

The German magazine 'Der Spiegel' recently featured articles about the phenomena of "Helikopter Eltern" (helicopter parents). These are parents that literally 'hover' over their children all day long, school, play, whatever and wherever, driving especially the teachers crazy. Teachers get calls, emails, WhatsApp questions like "how often did my son sneeze today??" I always thought that was pretty weird, especially coming from a family where my parents' only involvement in my school and extracurricular activities was the stipulation that I got good grades and showed up in time for dinner (both of which not always happened).

While our horse trailer was getting serviced this week Remy had to stay over at the barn the last couple of days. I know the care is good, but nevertheless, I caught myself fretting about little things. I actually had made up his feed in brown bags, neatly labeled of course, for breakfast and dinner. So when I checked the feed room yesterday and saw that his dinner feed was missing I almost freaked out (yep, that's me!).  Frantic texts to the working student (who does not do the feeding but knows who does -it's a rotating schedule-) revealed that his feed bag was stored with the others for the evening feed. Thanks, Chapin! Oh, dear, I think it's possible that I might be one of the weird ones... a "Helikopter Mutter"!

The staying over has been very good for Remy, though. I had the best rides ever in the last few days. Especially today in the outdoor arena Roz had us make good use of the larger space, and Remy was cooking along. We were forward with a notable spring in our step, floating through half-passes and going forward into our changes. Yay! I think I am getting addicted to this.

Now I want more, more, more (just not at the midnight hour with a Rebel yell, as the Billy Idol song goes - a dressage arena during daylight is perfectly fine for Remy and me, thank you very much!).

No comments:

Post a Comment