Monday, September 3, 2018

"Don't be surprised if it's good" - and I won't be saved by my hair

OK, I admit it, I love it when people miss my blog entries (thanks, Ingrid!). It's been a busy week since I've been back from New England. My riding gap of about 10 days needed to be bridged. Remy had worked well for Roz, so I knew it was entirely up to me - no surprise here. My first day back on Remy was a bit of a fumbling exercise. By the time my Friday lesson rolled around, things had improved. Actually, I was surprised how good Remy felt and how well he went. His right lead canter is getting more and more consistent, and we worked on collecting the trot while thinking of half-steps. Several times I laughed because I was so happy with what I was feeling, to which Roz said "don't be surprised if it's good!". Yes, I do need to get my mindset to EXPECTING the work and the feel to be good, not seeing it as an exception.

During the week Remy and I had hitched up our big boy pants and big girl pants respectively and ventured out down the road on our own for the first time. Ever since Saumur 'lost' me galloping in the park several years back and I had to limp home for miles sans Saumur (who made it home in record time) I don't like going out alone. Better to have someone there ready to pick me up! Nevertheless, after working in the arena I decided it was time to see what we've got - and all went well, going by the trash cans (OK, we had to stop because Remy wanted to inspect the contents of the recycling bins) and having Rosy the Yorkshire launching herself into our path.

I noted a difference in Remy when we went out today together with Chambord and JP: Remy seemed more confident, previously he was perfectly happy behind Chambord, today he took the lead and marched forward like he owned the trails.

The hot and humid weather is not enticing to wearing a helmet, but for us it's "jamais sans moi" (OK, this "never without me" slogan is off a condom that was inside a courtesy kit from Air France). I can't count on my hair to save me like it did for Empress Sisi of Austria. I just finished a book about her life, she was considered the best horsewoman and foxhunter of her time. Her thick hair was floor length and for riding she had it wrapped around her head. The few times she came off foxhunting in Ireland apparently her hair saved her from head injuries. In comparison, the few inches of hair I have  couldn't save anything - so on goes the Charles Owen.

Her hair: Can replace a helmet
Empress Sisi of Austria, 1864, Franz-Xaver Winterhalter


My hair: Not so much

No comments:

Post a Comment