Saturday, August 25, 2018

Infraspinatus and Brachiocephalicus - all part of my week

My week training for the certification in Equine Sports Massage Therapy was intense (to say the least) and amazing at the same time. I sure was in for some surprises.

It started quaint, with easy travel to Providence, RI, and a scenic drive to Griswold, CT. I stayed at the Bay Mountain Farm B&B, also an Equine Sanctuary and Rescue. The farm was build in the early 1700s, and has been lovingly restored by Cindy and Glenn, the owners. It's like stepping back in time, but with all the modern conveniences (like hot showers!). 

Bay Mountain Farm B&B
After a good nights sleep I went on my merry way to Equissage New England/New York where I was warmly welcomed by Doris and Ron, the owners/instructors, but also had my first surprise: I was the only student that week (the maximum number of students is three). The second was that Doris is German, not only that, she is from Freiburg - one of my all time favorite cities. Luckily, the three of us 'clicked' from the beginning, which was good thing as we were going to spend a good deal of time together. I had chosen that program specifically because Doris is not only a Certified Equine Sports Massage Instructor, she is also a certified Masterson Method Practitioner and Coach. OK, off to a good start!

It dawned on me pretty quickly that this would not be an "easy - breezy" week with some jaunts to the beach. Instead, I was having eight hours per day one-on-one and sometimes even two-on-one instruction, supplemented by ample homework at night. Classroom sessions in the morning, hands-on work in the afternoon. 

Doris and Ron turned out to be consummate professionals and true horse people, warm and friendly, but nevertheless demanding. Doris luckily understood my hang to perfectionism and the frustrations that come with it ("must be in the German genes"). More than once I doubted if I could ever make it, and -as usual- I was my own harshest critic. At night I crammed muscles and their functions, knowing I would be tested the next day (yes, there was a written test every day):

The challenge on Velcro - where does which muscle go and what's its function??

Fortunately, it so happened that the other woman staying at the B&B turned out to be a smart, funny and sassy New Yorker. Amanda -an adjunct professor of Literature- was there to write on her book. We went out to dinner several times and had a blast. 

Soon it was time for the exams, several pages of written exams followed by a full Equine Sports Massage. I was relieved that the written part went well, but my stomach flipped a bit seeing Doris with her large clipboard, observing my every move like a hawk but also trying to keep me at ease. Luckily, Cappuccino (a handsome Paso Fino) was in a good mood and didn't give me any trouble.

Whew! All went well, I didn't forget or mess up and at the end Doris and Ron presented my with my certification and a lovely card from Ziggy (their adorable Jack Russell). 

There a quite a few Equine Sports Massage training programs around, and they sure are not all the same. I am convinced I found the best one - at least it is the best one for people that truly want to learn and are committed to it. 

Now, JP, pour that Champagne: Horse and Sense LLC is officially up and running!



No comments:

Post a Comment