Tuesday, October 9, 2018

"He is ready for more intelligent conversations" - and no "verflixtes siebtes Jahr" for us!

Yesterday was a "check up day": Roz got on Remy to check that we are on the right path (my translation: I am not messing him up). What you see is not always what you get, and I really appreciate having an expert rider and trainer checking on our progress not just by watching but also by feeling what is going on. Luckily, Roz didn't detect any major issues under saddle (other than the ones she sees -  Remy's tendency to blow me off). With her, his "I think this is good enough, thank you very much" didn't fly. 

Overall, things are progressing nicely. Remy is more willing and eager to learn - or as Roz puts it "he is ready for more intelligent conversations". Today part of our conversations were canter - walk - turn on the haunches - canter off different direction, as well as walk pirouettes to canter. Yep, now I just have to keep my part of the "intelligent" equation. 

This month Remy and I are celebrating our seventh anniversary. It's hard to believe, I still see the gangly three-year old stepping happily off the trailer after a five day trip from Montana to Michigan and settling in our barn like an old pro. 

I wasn't actually looking for a horse when Remy stepped into my life. Sally Radtke Anderson, at the time president of the Morgan Dressage Association, had sent me a congratulatory letter on behalf of the MDA for the USDF Bronze Medal Saumur and I achieved. Her email had a link to her website moanamorgans.com … seeing Remy and deciding to visit Montana were a quick sequence of events. Interestingly, when I saw Remy for the first time 'in person' I had some doubts (did I really want to start with a three year old?? He looks smaller than I thought?). My instructor at the time was not enthusiastic (another Morgan?? Why won't you get a Warmblood??) but JP really rooted for Remy - and I mean all out. How many husbands are trying to 'brainwash' their wives into buying a horse??

Fast forward seven years: It's been quite the ride (literally) - ups and downs, frustrations, excitement, a cracked leg (mine!) and changes of instructors. Clinics with an Olympian, a Bereiter from the Spanish Riding Schools in Vienna, a former Rodeo Cowboy, and Western Horsemanship Trainer. All this peppered throughout with plenty of encouragement, and sometimes serious butt-kicking (mine, not Remy's!) by JP.  

Finally things are falling into place - so no verflixtes siebtes Jahr (aka Seven Year Itch*)  for us. Au contraire: We have found our stride!


Happy Seventh Anniversary!
This is how it all began: A photo of 3 year old Remy in Montana

*The seven-year itch is a psychological term that suggests that happiness in a relationship declines after around year seven of a marriage. The phrase originated as a name for irritating and contagious skin complaints of a long duration -Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment