Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Off to New England - and "True professionals have coaches"

Without my coach, Roz, Remy and I wouldn't be where we are by far. When I'm working alone I have to admit to a tendency of "good enough". That only applies to Remy, though, (yay, he says). Working with the right coach not only keeps one's skills sharp but it also forces one to stretch and improve.  

At the beginning of my executive career I was smart enough to book some sessions with a "Mind coach", a German psychiatrist that specializes in executive coaching. Simone helped me to 'out-smart' and 'out-live' the worst male chauvinist boss I'd ever come across. 

Fast forward to the present: Tomorrow I am heading to New England for my annual review and continuing education (some things never change, it seems...). Although this time, the review is to check that my equine bodywork skills are still sharp and to add Craniosacral therapy and thoracic sling release to my repertoire. I am so fortunate to have Doris and Ron as my coaches and mentors. Not only do both of them have decades of experience (and are also certified instructors and examiners), they are also truly nice people. Whenever I need a sounding board with a puzzling -equine- client, I can count on helpful advice and feedback.

I think of it in terms of competitive athletes, most of the top ones have great coaches. As Simone puts it: "True professionals have coaches!" (No matter the discipline).

Back to my riding coach - today we had a long reining session, and it stretched my skills. Roz set up a series of cavaletti at different heights Remy had to trot through and then canter out. With both hands full with both long reins plus the in-hand whip steering was not as easy as it seemed. Remy did a great job weaving in and around a few times until I got my act together. But then it was super cool to see how he stretched his neck, bent his hocks, picked his belly muscles up and cruised through. Made us all happy - Remy most of all: He knew there was an "obscene" carrot (Chapin's description) waiting for him. And yes, the juice carotts JP buys in bulk from our local grocery store look rather ...hmm.... Luckily Remy doesn't blush - he just wants to sink his teeth in them.

And here is something bright in celebration of the start of fall: Stephanie had sent me two clay 'crowns' a few years ago (yes, all the way from Germany - and as she is a 'master shipper' nothing ever dares to break). It's a metaphor for not giving up: "Aufstehen, Krone richten, weitermachen" - "Get up, straighten crown, continue"!
Happy Fall - American Mums in a German 'crown' :-) 






No comments:

Post a Comment