Sunday, October 27, 2019

Busy times - and yes, I can count to three

I really appreciate the 'gentle reminders' from friends that like to read the blog when I haven't written in a while. It's been busy, but good busy. Horse and Sense LLC is doing very well, and word of mouth has brought many new clients. Yesterday for example I spent the day at a lovely farm in Michigan Horse Country (Metamora), working with wonderful horses that responded beautifully to the bodywork. The gamut ran from the equine equivalent of a Ferrari to an adorable QH. At the end I was cold, tired, hungry - and very happy.

On our 'horse side' Chambord gave us a bit of a scare as all of a sudden his hind legs had completely stocked up and he refused to move much. Kidney or liver issues came to mind, so we had his blood tested. Luckily the test came back negative but it left is scratching our heads. We checked the pastures for any strange things but couldn't find anything. (And the other guys were perfectly fine). I wrapped his legs overnight with Uptite poultice and by the next morning the spook was gone. Legs were nice and tight. The only thing I could come up with was that Chambord had been munching on too many leaves and this had affected his system somehow. I mean, why eat the yummy hay when you can have decaying leaves??

Remy has been doing well in our lessons. We are increasing the difficulties and so far -knock on wood- he hasn't thrown a temper tantrum. His canter is improving steadily, to the right has always been more of a balance issue. The funny thing is, I keep the canter in a really good rhythm when I count: Eins, zwei, drei, eins, zwei, drei,... I quipped to Roz, well, at least I can count to three! - there is saying in German "kann nicht bis auf drei zaehlen" (can't count to three, which means not the smartest).

The weather adds a bit of excitement to the riding, it can go from mid 60sF to mid 30sF. And those cold mornings are excellent for adding 'airs above the ground':

I do get on - but only after longing first :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment