Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Four leaf clover in Remy's paddock - And get this turbo into gear!

This morning when I got Remy from his paddock I looked down to avoid the water puddles - and found a four leaf clover. JP is convinced that I am super lucky, because I have a knack for finding them. Sometimes even five leaf ones. 

Found in Remy's pasture - let's just believe it brings good fortune!

Roz was running late from her previous lesson, so I used the time to play around a bit with Remy, and warmed him up with lots of  bending lines in rising trot and two-point canter. By the time we started our lesson we both were limbered up and ready to work. Roz is asking for more precision, and a more upper level frame ("He can do this! All he has to do use his Rear Wheel Drive"). And sure enough, when it all comes together and the RWD is engaged it is pretty amazing. The withers 'grow' in front of me, the haunches lower and there is more thrust from behind. Come to think of, Remy is a bit like my GTI: Easily underestimated, but wait until the Turbo kicks in!

What made my day was when Roz said "I can now see the FEI potential in him". Insert big smile from me here. Even though we are a looong way away, it's so encouraging that things are moving in the right direction. Ever so often I have my doubts if it is all worth it when it feels like we are stuck in first gear, while my friends are off to Europe buying fancy and talented horses. Roz then -unlike other trainers and coaches who would happily recommend a shopping trip- reminds me:  "Well, this is the horse you have, let's make the best of it".

She wouldn't say it if we were a hopeless case. It is clear that Remy and I are not going to the Olympics (duh!), Remy is not a "Lampenaustreter" (a horse that has so much leg action that he -figuratively- hits the lights), and I have my limitations, too (shocking, I know!). Nevertheless, we strive to be good at what we do, and my long term goal is to do a credible job at PSG.

And yes, that was my mantra with Saumur: "Take what you have and do the best you can with it". However, it was different with Saumur as I knew of his difficult and abusive past. With Saumur, any small progress was huge as he constantly had to overcome his demons.  Remy, OTOH, has no excuses, he has led a charmed life, first in Montana, and then with us. So it's high time for him to hitch up those big boy pants, put the driving gloves on*, and get his turbo in gear! 

*I did have a boy friend in college that never drove his 911 Porsche without driving gloves. His mantra was "you are only as good as you sell yourself" :-) Food for thought...


A nice reminder from Carl Hester that surrounding yourself with the right support can be more important than owning an expensive horse. (Dressage Today)




No comments:

Post a Comment