Wednesday, October 30, 2019

The Last Hurrah before winter? - and 'borrowing' from the horses' kit

We had beautiful fall weather on Monday, just perfect for trail riding. Looking out of our kitchen window made me smile: the boys in front, gorgeous 'flaming' trees in the back.

I felt super lucky that we were able to squeeze in a trail ride between my client appointments, how cool!
The Last Hurrah before winter?

Not so cool was the 'companion' I had apparently acquired...  During Taco Tuesday dinner with our friends Angie and Ed at the local brewery I noticed my hip hurt, and I joked that I probably got bumped into a stall wall and didn't even register it. Well, when I took my jeans off that night I almost shrieked (OK, I did) because I was so grossed out: There was a tick. Yikes! I got JP out from under the shower and he had to go to work with tweezers STAT to get the offending thing off me. It was very small, so hopefully it hadn't been on me for too long. But still, right away I fretted about Lyme disease.

As I had my annual check up this morning I thought, OK, I'll ask the doctor about it. Well, my check up was with the OB/GYN, and the poor guy was clearly puzzled. I joked that after all it could have been a FEMALE tick, but it was still way out of his comfort zone. He got his phone and did a google search - Guess he better sticks to delivering babies!

I called my primary physician and she recommended that I  watch what happens, fever, chills, swellings, rashes, etc. As the tick was very small chances are good that we got it off in time.

The interesting part was that -once again- the horses are way better outfitted than I am. I have a few band aids in the bathroom drawers, that's about it. However, the equine first aid kit is comprehensive (of course!). That's where I dug in to get rubbing alcohol and antibiotic ointment that MY google search revealed as recommended first line treatment of tick bites. I'm sure the boys won't mind - as long as I don't eat their cookies they are fine!

And yes, as I am writing this it seems that fall gave us a Last Hurrah indeed. It's cold, raining, with snow flurries in the forecast for the next days. Only six more months till Spring!



No comments:

Post a Comment