Friday, August 21, 2020

"Post - but don't post" - and making up for Remy on the trails

 Remy has been a very good student this week. Yesterday's long lining session was super. And Roz noted (of course) my problem: not enough outside rein. And it was the outside rein that had wrapped around my leg when we had the accident. Interesting - and a tough learning experience!

We have been working on getting Remy's frame more closed, with a higher neck carriage ("up and out"), and lots of transitions within the gaits. I was flummoxed to note that Remy is "taking me" forward when I canter in two-point or do posting trot. He slows down when I'm sitting. Alas, my darn tight back again. Years and years of being told -or yelled at- to "use your back!" are sometimes rearing their ugly head. In order for me to get a lighter feel Roz had a good exercise "Think of posting but then don't post", and that really did the trick. Remy's canter has improved significantly, and it's a joy now to feel the fluidity and have him take me (as opposed to me having to push him along). 

On the home front, Chambord is a bit lonely without Remy. Saumur and Teddy stick together, and are not much into rough play. So Ziggy and I have to fill in as trail buddies.

Ziggy and I "Huff and Puff" filling in for Remy. Chambord says, it's only fair!


No comments:

Post a Comment