Sunday, August 2, 2020

Glueck gehabt - a very scary experience

On Friday I decided to long rein Remy in our outdoor arena while JP went to his lesson with Lisa. I thought it would be good exercise, and as Remy had been calm under saddle in the previous days I didn't foresee any issues.

Well, something set him off and he ripped the reins out of my hands and bolted. Unfortunately, one of the reins got wrapped around my left leg (the one I had broken before) and I ended up being dragged by a bolting horse. Honestly, I thought "this is it". Luckily, "mein Schutzengel machte Ueberstunden" (my guardian angel worked overtime"): The rein caught on the wooden deck in the arena and broke, thus freeing me. Remy ran back to the barn and I limped behind him. To my big surprise he was fine, and looked at me like "what just happened?". 

As I texted Roz, at least we know his tendon is holding up. As for me, I'm pretty bruised and sore, but fine. Just quite shaken at the thought of what could have happened.

So, yesterday I hiked up these big girl pants and rode him. This time, we did have our 'safety blanket' (Chambord and JP) with us. All went well, we even ventured into to the woods. Today we are completely rained out, tomorrow we restart our lessons with Roz. Cross my fingers that my guardian angel is quitting his/her job anytime soon!

Life saver: The long rein broke



No comments:

Post a Comment