Thursday, October 1, 2020

Arena - Potomac - 3-plus-1 - and love being "stuck" here

 Some of my friends become worried when I haven't posted in a while. What can I say - it's been just too darn busy and in some instances also nerve-wracking.

So, recap in -almost- chronological order:

1) Arena is completed - Yay! JP even installed lights, this will be the closest I get this season to "Dressage Under The Stars" (a Friday night event at Global Dressage in Wellington). And who needs a sandy beach when you have a sand box at home?

Finally - Good Footing


2) When JP was feeding breakfast to the boys last week he noted Saumur was not eating, and seemed completely listless and depressed. I took his temp and it was 103F: Emergency call to the vet. Luckily Dr. Sheldon came quickly, armed with a tube, charcoal, Antibiotics, and Banamine. She suspected Potomac Horse Fever (even though Saumur is vaccinated, there are various strains). The scary part with Saumur is that he is 26, IR (insulin resistant), and therefore at high risk for founder. Luckily, after some nail-biting days and nights, and daily vet visits, he pulled through. It was a big bill but as JP so eloquently says: "Quand on aime on ne compte pas" - When you love you don't count!

3) Ziggy ran off after a squirrel, didn't find his way home, but thanks to a lovely young couple watching over him  (he wouldn't come to them), and then seeing my post on Nextdoor we were able to pick him up. He was safe and sound - and very tired. Blame the Eichhoernchen, he said. 

4) Great riding week, yay, Remy! And of course, Yay, Roz! Remy and I have a tendency to 'die' in the half-passes. They start out well, but then we just fade - the bend goes and so do the haunches. So Roz had the great idea to use 3 plus 1. It means I have the snaffle rein in one hand and the two curb reins plus the snaffle in the other. For example, half-pass to the left I have the snaffle rein in the left hand, and both curb reins plus the other snaffle rein in the right hand. Wouldn't you know it, it worked like a charm. I have to admit that I actually squealed for joy (hmm, do I really want do admit this?) during a canter half-pass to the left (our more difficult side). 

5) Lots of client appointments - lovely horses and owners. I am so grateful that I am able to do something I love. Yay! to second careers :-) 

"Princess Allie" enjoying a scapula release

6) Beautiful fall weather! While I sorely miss traveling -especially visiting Germany- I do love where I am "stuck" (as long as the TV is off!)

Our cozy barn, 4 stalls, tack room, storage,
Porch (run-in shelter) for the equines
Upstairs "Play room" for the humans

"Home with a view" (from kitchen window):
Morning mist over Kensington Park

Ziggy's nemesis on the top rail






No comments:

Post a Comment