Sunday, October 25, 2020

When it rains, it pours - and now it's a weird swelling

Saumur is back to his old self, happily wolfing down any food that's put in front of him. Whew! Nous avons échappé belle ("we escaped beautifully", in our case: it was a narrow escape). 

Remy had been working really well in our lessons, but sometimes he gets ahead of us. Roz quipped the other day "next time, try to get a less smart horse". So, I thought we were just cruising along, and happily drove to my lesson on Friday. While in the car I got a text from Roz with a picture "your boy has a weird swelling". Uh, uh: When it reins, it pours. Weird swelling was right: Remy had a huge swelling in his left groin area. Soft, but he wasn't ouchy. I put Remy on the longe line to see how he would move, and to my relief he was sound. Roz and I decided movement would be good and Remy cheerfully went through his lesson (probably also because he noted the arrival of his school bus driver).


At home I palpated the area and noted a hard lump within the swelling. That was just too dubious, so I called the vets office for advice. By now I should have them on speed dial. I texted the photo, and Dr. Ryker called me back, joking that recently we've been talking way too much. He thought it's a hematoma with a blood clot inside, and just to watch it over the weekend. I put Surpass on it in the hopes the swelling would go down.

As of today the swelling is almost all gone, but the hard lump remains (it is smaller). I've been applying hot compresses to the area, and that seems to have helped. Hopefully -fingers and toes crossed- it will be gone in a few days.  

I've been really busy with work, and added new clients also. It is amazing, as I don't advertise, the business growth is entirely organic - through word of mouth. I am very lucky to be able to do what I love (OK, the love might perhaps 'cool' a bit in the coming winter months, but we'll see, I've been stocking up on clothes to combat the Arctic Winter). As long as we stay healthy, all will be fine! 

I should get one of those!


No comments:

Post a Comment