Thursday, January 28, 2021

Trying to stay motivated - the difference a year makes

 The difference a year makes: January 2020 versus January 2021:

January 2020 - Wellington, Florida

January 2021 - Milford, Michigan


I admit to not 'digging' the cold, and it is hard to stay motivated without regular access to an indoor arena. Yes, of course, I know - I'm "complaining on a high level" - there are way more serious things in life! We are in the midst of a pandemic, with no vaccination appointment in sight until August 2021 (latest estimate).

This week I have been longing Remy in the snow. Luckily our outdoor arena footing was covered by a nice layer of snow, without ice underneath, so Remy could have fun letting off some steam. Yesterday we tagged along with JP and Chambord for their lesson, but the crowded arena didn't do much for both of us. The best I can say was that we got some exercise. 

Today we are heading to Ferris' for a lesson with Vanessa. I know she shares my issues with working in the cold, so I appreciate her even more. It's 18F (about -8C) as I'm typing this. Yesterday morning I had horses to work on in 10F (-12C)  - and wouldn't you know it, the kids that had lessons at that barn were still cheerful. I do recall riding in the cold and snow in Germany, but then, it really never got to the deep freeze we have here. Most of the time I could ride in a sweater in the (unheated) arena in the winter. Ah, the good old days and/or to be a kid again! 😉

1 comment:

  1. I am in New England with no indoor, self care and a full time job. The struggle to stay motivated is real. I have been riding consistently so far but have decided that for the first weekend this winter I'm not going to ride, I'm going to honor the fact its in the teens and do stuff around the house. We'll get back to work soon enough.

    ReplyDelete