Thursday, January 7, 2021

Winter barn - and Dr. Tooth for the horses

 The snow definitely makes for pretty pictures. The boys "daytime hangout" gives them shelter with a buffet, and they can come and go as they like. Pretty nice digs, n'est ce pas?


The boys live the good life

Our annual dental appointment for the boys showed that all four needed some work. Minor for the three of them, a major one unfortunately in the cards for Saumur. He needs a tooth to be extracted, which will be pretty scary at his age (27 this year). We have to take him to the clinic, which starts with another hurdle: trailer loading! Ugh! Last time he was in a trailer was his trip to MSU for colic surgery. Guess we better start practicing getting on again - which he'd rather avoid at all costs. Flashback to the time when it took 8 (yes, eight!) hours to load him. This time we are planning to have Remy go with him as emotional support. First we thought about taking Teddy, he is small and 'handlich' (handy), but not an experienced traveler, either. Wow fact about Teddy: Dr. DeWitt estimated his age to be sometime in his Thirties!

Remy's training is a bit 'on and off', on Monday we went to Berwyck to ride in the arena (we pay per use). Usually the mornings there are quiet, but this time we encountered some not very welcoming people. Oh well, the boys did a good job, and got some exercise, that's what counts.

Due to the dental work he had a few days off, but luckily I was able to longe him in the snow. He is barefoot, has good balance, and we were careful, so it worked out. Today's lesson with Vanessa was fun and educational (what more could I want?). She is greatly helping me with my position (the tendency to be too far in front), and Remy's issue of not always being honestly in front of my leg. When both click we have harmony - and darn good changes, if I may say so. Better get in shape, Lilo is coming next week, and I am already pulling up the big girl panties (which I will dearly need). 

The political climate, culminating in yesterday's events, have left me quite shaken, and I might need Dr. Tooth myself soon from all that clenching of my jaw. Wonder if Saumur and I can get a two for one? I'm sure his drugs would make me feel very mellow ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment