Monday, May 14, 2012

Growling in a different language does the trick - and "No what if's"

Remy still has the habit of sometimes 'rooting' with his head, trying to snatch the reins. Every time he does it I make a downward transition. However, yesterday I got a bit annoyed with Remy's rudeness and I growled at him "ca suffit!" (which means "that's enough"). Wow, instant gratification on this one. It was like Remy snapped his heels and said "Yes, ma'am!". I grinned and said to Sandy "so much for your advice of sticking to one language when talking to him". (Well knowing, that in this case it had nothing to do with language, it was the tone of the voice).

It is also sometimes difficult for me to keep Remy from 'wiggling' all over the place. Sandy's assessment: "You both have the same lanky body types, more like two willows..." which is a creative way of saying that my core strength is not up to snuff. So how do I keep both of us from swaying int he wind?? Strong core (no brainer), elbows stable at the sides, legs supportive, thigh bones pointing forward: No big deal ;-).

Saumur has been feeling awesome lately. Very powerful and muscular. But all that power needs to be channeled in the right direction. He is my other 'million transitions horse'. Yesterday we focused on clean and on the spot transitions, in between and in and out of the gaits. We finished with precise transitions of walk - four canter strides - trot - in sequence. This will help us with the flying changes in sequence.We also had clean single flying changes. Yeah!

So, with all this you would think I am ready and eager to sign up for the first show of the season. Oh no, think again. Nerves and "I am so not prepared" thoughts are chiming in. Too many "what ifs" (i.e. what if I can't ride enough due to my travel schedule, what if we don't get the changes, etc.)

George Williams is coming to Southview Farm May 26 and 27, and I entered with both boys. I am curious how Remy will handle the clinic setting and spectators. My guess is that he thinks he's hot stuff "look, all these people are here to see ME -- let's go and say HI". I will have my work cut out to keep his focus (and mine!). So no "what ifs" either at the show or at the clinic. To quote my French boss' favorite saying "It is forbidden"! (Never thought this expression would become useful).

No comments:

Post a Comment