Monday, May 21, 2012

When things go wrong - speculating on what happened

Last Thursday Saumur got scared on his way to the turnout, ran back to the barn, slipped and fell in the aisle. Luckily nothing broken, no obvious injuries, but he seemed pretty sore so I opted not to ride and give him some Banamine. With the upcoming weekend trip to Montreal (JP and I had planned for a long time) I was not happy leaving Saumur, but I knew he would be closely watched and well taken care of.

As Sandy's hand is healing well and with the OK from her doctor she started riding again, and offered to work Saumur. On Saturday I got an excited email from her that she had had a great ride on Saumur.

Sunday night, coming back from Montreal, Francis called to tell me that Sandy was in the hospital with a broken collarbone and concussion - having fallen off Saumur! I was mortified: Sandy getting hurt again, and this time with Saumur. All Sandy can remember is that she was walking him on a long rein. Nobody saw it happen. Saumur does not buck, but his spooks can be powerful. Perhaps whatever set him off on Thursday happened again yesterday. I am just so sorry for Sandy, first the broken hand from her fall off Facet and now this!

With Saumur's spooks seemingly coming back after a 'no-spook' winter I am wondering what is triggering this? Is the work getting too much? He seems proud and happy doing the upper level work, but is it really the case? Or was it just a freak accident?

I am picking up Saumur tonight as all the boys have dental appointments tomorrow. We'll see how he does at home. The most important thing though is that Sandy is getting better soon!

If only our animals could talk - we might not always like what we hear but it sure would shed some light on some of the mysteries we are speculating about.

No comments:

Post a Comment