Saturday, March 9, 2013

Remy go jump - and my thoughts are with Myles and Judy

Exciting day today: Jennifer Merrick-Brooks, my eventing instructor from a long way back, was in Michigan for a clinic this weekend. When I first connected with Jenn on facebook I thought it might be nice for Remy to work through gymnastics, and so we signed up.

My last jumping lesson was more than eight years ago; it was at the time when we concluded that Saumur was not a good eventing prospect. Athletic ability: YES! Mental ability: Not so much. Bolting after every jump was just not that endearing and pretty much took the fun out of it. Blessing in disguise: Saumur and I found our calling in dressage.

So today JP, Remy and I bumped over muddy and rutted roads to the freeway, and then on dirt roads again to Sandhill Farm. Last time I had been there was when I jumped Crissy, and that was eons ago. Remy, trooper that he is, walked around the unfamiliar indoor arena, chock full with all kinds of jumps. The lesson before us was still going on, and I wondered why the student wore a body protector. When I asked Jennifer later on if that was required she explained that this student had broken her back jumping, healed up, and fell off again. This was her first lesson back. Wow: talk about grit and gumption!

We went to work, first over trotting poles and then over more demanding gymnastics, like a line with a ground pole, cross rail with a block underneath, to another ground rail. Jennifer reminded me that the goal was to stay in rhythm, and get to the other side, even if it wasn't perfect, but preferably both of us still together :-). It was the old "inside leg to outside rein" adage again, so I would keep Remy from drifting. No better reminder than the prospect of having a jump standard in your face!

At one time Remy got spooked by something outside (the door was open to the fields), and threw in some rather impressive bucks. The farm is called 'Sandhill' after the Sandhill cranes for a reason... I was really proud of myself that 1) I didn't buy real estate (got thrown), and 2) I didn't get rattled. Remy was as cool as a cucumber once he had it out of his system, and we went on as if nothing had happened.



We had a lot of fun, and finished on a perfect note: what else could you ask for? Jenn commented several times on what nice a horse Remy is and how well he fits me. Of course, I KNOW it, but it's nice to hear it from other professionals. It was a long and cold afternoon, and I barely had taken care of Remy when I was out of my clothes and submerged the 100F bubbling water in my bathtub. Pure bliss!! The yellow rubber duckies, courtesy of my dear friend Stephanie, hopefully won't tell about my groans of pleasure.

Even though everything went splendidly this afternoon for us, a dark cloud was also there. Myles, Judy's beloved Doberman, is very sick. Having gone through the agony of having sick or old animals, and the sorrow of  losing some of them, JP and I are thinking of Judy. Yes, we humans are not supposed to be outlived by our pets, but that really is not much of a consolation. If there is any, it's the happiness and quality of life that both humans and animals were able to share. I truly believe that the loved ones we lose live on -- forever in our hearts.



No comments:

Post a Comment