Sunday, March 24, 2013

Upping the ante - and what's the deal with these tantrums?

Today falls entirely under 'learning experience'.

While I was able to keep Saumur in a better frame I was not so fortunate when it came to my half-halts. The canter half-passes to the right are pretty much my nemesis; if I don't keep Saumur on the outside rein and listening to my half-halts he blows out over his shoulder and throws in an unauthorized change. What finally drove the point home was Judy having me start with haunches in, which made me keep my left leg on better while keeping him on the right rein. And oh, yes, her yelling to not let him take over might have had something to do with us finishing the exercise on a good note :-)

Cute, cuddly Remy showed his teenage rampage streak today, with some unauthorized bucking (not that there is such a thing as authorized bucking, unless it's out in the pasture, sans rider). Needless to say, that was even less welcome than Saumur blowing off my half-halts. Shoulder-in, shoulder-in, and then some more shoulder-in got his attention. But when we proceeded to shoulder-in on the circle up the boy came again. By then my worry level was hitting the stratosphere, as this is just not normal Remy behavior. Instead of focusing on riding him through his shenanigans my 'Kopfkino' (cinema in my head) was going full tilt. What's going on and what could be the cause??

Lack of turnout? He goes out with Saumur, but a) Saumur is not a good playmate, b) the ground is hard and frozen, and c) time is limited. While all this certainly plays into it I think the main culprit might be his teeth. Luckily, I finally was able to nail down the dentist and my vet at the same day, April 2. All four will get the full works, Spring shots, Coggins, dental work. I need dentist and vet at the same time so the boys that won't sit still in the chair (Chambord!) can get 'sedation dentistry'.

Aside from all this Judy really honed in on my weakness of letting the boys get away with too much. She is right on the money with her observation that it is high time for me to up the ante. Of course, intellectually I know it, but ... I always find plenty of excuses for them (i.e. Remy's age, Saumur's past,...).

Especially with Remy it is very important to lay the groundwork for the future now, if  he learns that "almost OK" is sufficient he'll never be able to hit his full potential. Judy suggested I should treat them like my employees, firm but with clear expectations that have to be met. OK, perhaps a formal performance review process is in order, with a special "cookie and carrot" bonus program - and yes, plenty of cuddling and scratching, special perks available ONLY to four-legged employees!


No comments:

Post a Comment