Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Variation is the spice of life - and ready for the joy?

Sunday afternoons at Topline are usually quiet, and yesterday was no exception. Perfect for setting up cavalettis in Judy's huge indoor arena. I strongly believe that horses need variation in their daily work, especially the young ones. Come to think of, not just the horses... nothing worse than being bored doing day in and day out the same old things. I'll take a double of the spice of life, please! With winter weather conditions putting a hold on trailrides, and Remy’s successful introduction to jumping, I was eager to get to the cavaletti work.

Judy has the “Jump USA” cavaletti system, which is lightweight and fairly easy to move around. I put four cavaletti on a circle, positioned at noon, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock. First I started Remy in a longing cavesson over just one ground pole in trot and then canter. Once we had done that on both hands we worked it up to all four, trot and canter. Piece of cake!

Saumur, generally leery of all things new in his environment, didn’t bat an eye, and handled the exercise like the old pro that he is (or rather, should be).

The February 18, 2013, edition of the “Chronicle of the Horse” had an excellent article covering the Global Dressage Forum, and featured one of my all time favorite horse-people, Ingrid Klimke (a four-start eventer and Grand Prix dressage rider). Here are some of my favorite quotes from her:

·        “Once a week I jump them all, so they all like jumping.... I can really work on their back muscles that way.”
·        “You always have to make sure that they’re in front of your leg and driving aids. In everything I do, starting in the warm up, I want to have a sensitive horse so he’s easily on my aids, thinking of me the whole time. My half-halt must be more interesting than everything outside.”
·        “I want to encourage dressage riders and trainers to think that horses should be proud to present. They want to show off… I think we must really try to get this positive influence from the eventing horses, who love to do their jobs, into the dressage world.”

I am getting ready for the joy, having recently dusted off my protective vest and medical armband. Well, wait, does that sound like getting ready for joy? Guess so: Rolex, Kentucky, here I come! (umh, as a spectator that is). 

No comments:

Post a Comment