Friday, August 2, 2013

Taking a hint from Saumur - and lucky me

No, I didn't refuse to load on the trailer to get extra vacation - but I spontaneously decided on Wednesday to take the rest of the week off! That doesn't happen too often, usually when I take time off it's for horse shows or extending a European business trip to visit friends and family.

So, what better to do than spending the majority of the day with the boys at Topline? Wednesday evening I got stuck in traffic and arrived at the barn exhausted after a two hour commute. JP got there before me and had Saumur all groomed and ready for my lesson. Lucky me : I don't know many husbands rushing to the barn to ge their wife's horse ready. And - he did a better grooming job on my horse than  his own :). Still, despite the combined efforts, it wasn't the best of rides, as Saumur picks up on the slightest mood changes ("OMG she's stressed, what's wrong??") and not to mention he had to wait for dinner!

What a difference a day (and three hours more sleep) make! Yesterday Judy had me warm up Remy before she got on. Remy has been in training with her since our Lamplight 'experience' and I haven't had much chance to see her ride him. Wow! The kid has made a ton of progress, is soft, connected, balanced in all three gaits - and he's not push button. We joke and say Remy has a good angel and a little demon on each shoulder and sometimes it's a toss up who wins. Typical teenager! It really sunk in how lucky I am having a wonderful Grand Prix rider and trainer teaching the little hooligan the ropes. Judy is such a quiet , elegant and yet effective rider I really strive to emulate.

Ah, but after all this reverie reality hit: I had a lesson on Saumur. I love him to death but Saumur is a tough ride. There must have been some lingering effects from watching Judy and Remy, though - Saumur and I managed to have one of our best rides in quite some time, he stayed mostly soft and had quite a few moments of true collection. Not working definitely improves my riding - too bad that being a barn bum doesn't count a gainful employment!

No comments:

Post a Comment