Thursday, November 21, 2013

"Take control of your brain - don't let your brain control you"

Ah, another ‘pearl of wisdom’ I picked up during my lesson on Remy last night. I have been struggling with the canter departs, having a hard time getting my outside leg and half-halt just right for Remy to move smoothly off into the canter. Instead, I tend to do too much on the inside and then try to move him off my upper body. It nets me… a faster trot on the forehand.

I’ve been thinking (OK, some might say fretting) over it quite a bit. Why do I automatically go for more inside rein? Is it because that way I can do an easy one-rein stop to the inside when things go south? I learned the one-rein stop eons ago from a cowboy, it proved extremely useful to stop Saumur when he was bolting, but alas I got overly dependent on it. Sort of like taking “something to relax” when needed but soon you take it “just in case” – not that I would have personal experience with that, of course!

Judy nailed it with her “take control of your brain – don’t let your brain control you” advise. My brain has to go on autopilot, like “OK, canter depart: keep him on the outside rein, outside leg slides back, and off we go”. Needless to say, it should be a no-brainer at this stage of my training. With Saumur it takes the slightest of aides to get him moving off my leg. But Remy of course is still a work in progress, and he actually shows me where my holes are. (Ugh, I guess I do have some?!).

Yes, Jude, it’s high time to fix those potholes and take control of this blonde brain of mine J

No comments:

Post a Comment