Thursday, November 28, 2013

Wow, I think I trained my own schoolmaster - and here is to Active Retirement

Saumur is in his last "teen-year" - if he were human he would be getting social security by now. He does not look his age, the boy is still strapping and healthy, some white in his mane just improves his looks. Sean Connery comes to mind, still sexy ... OK, I digress!

Realistically, it would be unfair to push Saumur along further. I don't see any reason why I should force his aging body into the high degree of collection needed for the upper level movements. He is comfortable where he is. Now, that doesn't mean Saumur will be a pasture ornament. His new job is to be my schoolmaster! Yes, it sounds strange, usually people buy dressage schoolmasters (highly trained upper level horses that let the rider get the correct feel). Seems I've made my own (Selbst ist die Frau :-)! )

As my 'schoolmaster' Saumur will help me work on my position, give me the right feel for the lateral work, collection, extension, and the occasional flying change. All this is going to help me tremendously while bringing Remy up the levels. And yes, for Saumur it will mean less work, more time to spend hanging out with his best bud Teddy. Here's to active retirement, my man!

Just the other day I thought how lucky we are to be able to have the horses at home. There are so many people with equine retirees that can't afford to board two horses, so it is the difficult choice to either pay for the retiree and stop riding - or trying to place the old guy for free (or doing the unmentionable) in order to afford another horse.

Off to the movies, buying tickets for "one adult - and one (other) active retiree"!

No comments:

Post a Comment