Monday, February 3, 2014

Don't take out your carrot supplier - and I found my 'magic mantra'

What a difference a little break in the temps makes! It was in the mid 20s on Saturday, and Saumur felt better than he had in a long time. With the good ride in mind I put Remy in the grooming stall to get him ready. JP was standing right in front of him – which proved not to be a good idea. Remy was relaxed in the cross ties when a loud sound in the aisle behind him startled him, made him take a huge leap forward – directly on JPs foot, then knocking him on the cement floor. Talk about scary! Luckily no major damage, but I almost needed a brown bag to start breathing again. Thank God for a tough Frenchman. Poor Remy had a bewildered look “what the heck just happened?” Well, that’s what we’d like to know, too.

Note to Remy: It’s so not a good idea to take out the guy who brings you the biggest and juiciest carrots in the depth of winter! Saumur, Chambord and Teddy would be really p..d, never mind me. 

I wasn’t too thrilled to get on, well knowing that if Remy would do this under saddle I’d be “flying Birgit”. Granted, I always wanted to try parachuting, but not without parachute! Keeping in mind the recent Tom Dorrance quote I read “if the person is bothered on the inside, it sure shows on the outside of the horse”, I tried to pretend not to be bothered.

Some time ago I had learned affirmative phrases, but I decided this called for something much stronger. The words just came to me, and I kept repeating them over and over. We had a beautiful ride. Our canter departs are getting better, even the ‘skippy’ one to the right. Judy had a good visual for me that helps with my tendency to over-control: Imagine being in front of a fence – you have to keep contact with the horse but he has to have enough oomph to get over the fence. Pulling back makes you crash. Once that image was ingrained in my mind we were clicking, but I still kept repeating my ‘magic mantra’ aloud to Remy.

So, what did I come up with?? Easy enough: “We can f…ing do this!” J Note to self: Keep it down in front of the judges.



No comments:

Post a Comment