Monday, February 24, 2014

We finally found our way - after hitting potholes, many detours, and some dead-ends

Saumur and I finally found the trail of bread crumbs and are on our way to dressage bliss – at least that’s how it feels when things are going well. It is amazing, after all this time I feel like I can finally RIDE him. It means I put my legs on and he accepts it, my half-halts go through, Saumur is light in front, on my seat, and in self-carriage.

When it’s good, it’s good – but it has been such a long and rocky road that it’s easy to get emotional about it (ok, I admit: sometimes, I do gush like a teenager when it comes to my boys). I mentioned to Judy that my deep regret is that I didn’t start training with her sooner. Always the pragmatic one she hit the nail on the head: “Better late than never”. Right on: Regrets are not helping!

An added benefit (aside from the pure joy) of Saumur working so well is that I can really draw on our work for Remy. For example, our flying changes from right to left are good. Judy pointed out that I should ask Remy for his canter departs exactly the same way as I ask Saumur for his flying changes. And voila: it works!

Speaking of Remy, aka the ‘Little Renegade’ – or should I say ‘Rebel without Cause’: He seemed all mellow when I longed him on Saturday as warm up; but when it was time to ride he decided to test his boundaries, planting his feet, not wanting to stand at the mounting block… so back to longing it was. This time with more purpose, though: Lower side reins, making him work over his back, TONS of transitions, no shenanigans! I stayed really calm, not getting excited about his little fits. The key is not to take it personal. As the old (and young) masters say: Ride the horse you have today, not the one you had yesterday and not the one you may have tomorrow. Sound advice!

And sure enough, it didn’t take long for Remy to settle down, and we went on to a beautiful ride. The nice thing is that I know that this time around, I have a sound and reliable navigation system (I call 'Her' ‘Judy’) and while she can’t always predict potholes, she will prevent us from major detours and dead-ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment