Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The gears are a bit stuck - and testing a new bridle


The weather decided to get with the “Golden October” program, it was a beautiful day for my last lesson before the break. The outdoor footing at Judy’s is perfect, and as it is a different composition as indoors it doesn’t cause any breathing issues.

We took both Chambord and Remy on the outing to Judy's. Chambord, as usual, was game and happily worked with JP, even marching off without giving a second look back to his buddy. Remy, on the other hand, decided only one day off clearly was in violation of his contract (overtime, anyone?) and felt like his gears were a bit stuck. He wasn’t as responsive to the leg aids and more or less grudgingly got to work. It took quite some cajoling on my part, but eventually we were back in business – and I had a sweat soaked shirt to show for.

It was also the first time that I test-rode a new bridle design, the Miklem Rambo Competition Bridle. Remy’s regular schooling bridle is falling apart, so I did some research and was intrigued by the design of the Rambo. It makes a lot of sense, at least on paper. It looks very nice on Remy, less leather on his face, which I like as I’m all for “less is more” (as long as it makes sense). But of course, the proof is in the ride. Remy felt better in my hands, less leaning, with an overall steadier contact. No snatching the reins out of my hands, no raising the head so high I have to fear for my nose, no rubbing his head on his legs every time we take a break. Do we have a winner? It will take more rides to confirm the positive first impression, but so far I’d say yes.

Perhaps Remy just likes it because it’s called Rambo and he relates -- Nomen est omen! (He is saying this with the chest puffed out).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment