Monday, May 30, 2016

"Just ride him off your socks" - and does he have his own appointment calendar?

From my earliest riding lessons the importance of proper attire and turnout for lessons was instilled (or let's just say drilled) into me with the explanation that it shows respect to the art of riding, the instructor, horses, and fellow students. Yes, George Morris, you were saying that all along. And yes, overweight riders in too tight pants didn't pass muster under my stern instructors either.


So today I proudly -and sheepishly- had to tell Judy "Well, my nail polish matches my shirt and saddle pad, however, I forgot my boots". She just laughed and we concluded that my top half looked good. I decided to give riding with boot socks and barn boots a whirl. Remy is sometimes a bit sluggish off the leg, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Judy's advice: "Just ride him off your socks!" Well, no worries, Remy had it covered. We did our usual routine without any problems, and even had good half-passes. Not only did I ride him off my socks, I also rode my socks off!


As I rattled off Remy's schedule for next month to Judy: Schooling at Waterloo, perhaps a rodeo, another police horse session, and then the three day cow working clinic she jokingly asked "Does Remy have his own appointment calendar?"  Well, not only that -  he even has a top notch (albeit underpaid) private secretary: Yours truly!

No comments:

Post a Comment