Thursday, January 26, 2017

New bit new luck - And traveling towards the sun

The "New Bit - New Luck" is adapted from the German saying "Neue Liebe - Neues Glueck" ("New Love - New Luck"). And it seems we have found a new flame (wouldn't call it love yet). I am talking about the Sprenger Duo bit, it is soft, but strong, not too thick or thin, and the 5 1/4 size fits Remy's mouth well. So far, Remy has given his stamp of approval, no fussing, no resistance, keeping his mouth closed without a noseband. All good.


The only negative remark I could make is that in the beginning Remy starts out heavier in the hand than I would like. But with lots of lateral/suppling work this goes away. We had a very good lesson today, one of those that give you the "Life Is Good"! feeling afterwards. Collected canter: Check! Flying changes, clean and forward: Check! Canter half-passes: Check! Medium trots: Check! Big grin and lots of treats afterwards: Check!!


A nice surprise arrived via email: An invitation to the awards luncheon at the annual convention of the American Morgan Horse Association as Remy and I have earned our Bronze Medallion. Yay! And double yay because the convention is in California, close to Palm Springs. Both JP and I were excited about the thought of ditching the Michigan winter, even for a few days. Alas, we won't be making it as we do not have a farmsitter for that time.


No worries (for me, that is): I'll be heading to sunny Florida for a horsey weekend next week. Fortunately, I do have the best and most reliable of all farmsitters: JP! (Hmm, I see difficult salary negotiations on the horizon...).

No comments:

Post a Comment