Wednesday, April 26, 2017

How much obedience do I want - and give?

Good riding day today, Remy was amenable to put an honest effort forward and we had very positive lesson. It's been a week since my last lesson with Judy, so I'm always a bit concerned about being 'rusty' and not on top of things. With Judy, you better be ready to buckle down and work. That's what I want and need, so it's a really good fit. Sure, there are days where I'd like to slack off, but in the end, I thrive on challenge.


Luckily I didn't have to buckle down too hard today, and while the changes are still a bit iffy (all due to yours truly) I feel things are progressing. During the ride I wondered how much of a "good little soldier" I really want Remy to be.


This came to my mind as I had a discussion with my (fairly new) boss who is visiting this week from France. I questioned some of the Executive Board's directives and he told me "sometimes you just have to be like a good soldier and take direction without questioning it". Uh, uh, I had to swallow hard on that one, and actually I'm still churning it around. I mean, this is not the battle of life or death here, and BTW, I thought I'm paid for using my brain!


While I wouldn't want my subordinates question every single decision I make, I encourage feedback and like to be challenged, I think it makes me a better leader. So, circling back to Remy, how much do I want him to question me?? While it certainly would be nice to have the perfect obedient little soldier that always says "Yes, Ma'am!" with his heels (uh, hooves) figuratively clicking, I think I would be bored. I don't want a mutiny either, but it's fun to figure out ways to make him see things my way and then have fun with it. Case in point: While initially Remy might whine about putting a serious effort in his shoulder-ins, in the end he is proud when he does awesome half-passes.


Too bad that it is often such a struggle with certain males of the human species ...no, not the shoulder-ins, of course, but seeing things my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment