Sunday, April 16, 2017

Leaving France and Germany behind to tackle obstacles in Michigan

I thoroughly enjoyed -as usual- Paris, Stuttgart, and my first visit in a very long time to Baden-Baden. Of course, smelling 'city air' was great, but the real treat was catching up with my friends and family. In Baden-Baden I had a long awaited reunion with my "Big Sister" Antje. She used to babysit ME! I still remember the horsey fairy tales and poems she would tell me, i.e. "Oh Fallada, da du hangest..." from Berthold Brecht. It's also called "a horse accuses" and gave me sleepless nights - for sure not Antje's intention.
Barely back home it was time to take Remy to Brandt's "Confidence/Obstacle" clinic*. It was a great experience. While the obstacles were intimidating to the other horses Remy didn't bat an eye and marched through and on everything. Brandt knows our issues well, and sure enough Remy's "Equino-Phobia" was addressed. It means Remy gets worried  when other horses come too close and he feels trapped. He shies and spins. Brandt had us go through a group of four other horses in various combinations, first in the walk, then in the trot. He also cantered really close to us, clearly invading Remy's comfort zone. It was a great learning experience, I was very happy with both of us. Sometimes I think it's me anticipating Remy's reaction that then gets Remy worried because he feels my tension and voila - the perfect storm.



Progress begins where your comfort zone ends.


*I will post a more detailed clinic report in the next days.

No comments:

Post a Comment