Monday, July 9, 2018

Being the horse and being the rider - and the guys have all the luck (when it comes to saddle fit)

The best laid plans didn't quite work out. Just before hitching the trailer I noticed a large crack in the truck's windshield. Yikes. It seemed to increase simply by staring at it. JP thought I overreacted (as usual in his mind) but nevertheless rushed off to the repair shop. Alas, no immediate appointment was available, ergo Remy had to stay home. Imagining us stranded at the edge of the highway with a smashed windshield in 90+F made the decision easy.

So I loaded my zippy GTI with all the accoutrements, such as the exercise ball (it took up almost the entire rear seat), yoga mats, suitcase and pointed North towards Glenda's farm for the Posture Clinic with Kerry Picken.

Kerry is a posture coach, using Pilates exercises to improve the riders' postures (www.centergy3.com). She turned out to be a great instructor with a super dressage background, very knowledgeable, fun, but also demanding all the while taking the individual challenges of the participants into consideration. Kudos go to Carolyn, a spry 81 year old, who was NOT going to be left behind in any of the exercises, on or off the horse!

On the mat and exercise ball we learned how to use our core muscles, hip opener and spine stretches, hamstring curls, ball balance, and much more such as lifting the pelvic floor (yes, sounds strange but it is very important to the rider's seat).

Kerry demonstrated how the correct and incorrect seats feel on the horse... on me! It was super educational, because if her seat wasn't correct I couldn't lift my back. That translates exactly to the horse, of course.

Kerry sits correctly, so the 'horse' can lift its back
With that impression on my mind I was very careful when it was time to get on Glenda's former cutting horse, Lectric Boomer (Glenda had generously offered to share him with me). It was great to feel that I could get him to walk off just by engaging my core. Another cool thing I learned -amongst many- was bringing my belly button forward in the extensions, drawing it in for collection.
Figuring out where all the pieces should be correctly placed
Luanne, the Schleese saddle fitter, came with her own accoutrements: two pelves (yep, that's the plural of pelvis, in case you wonder). She explained saddle fit for the riders in detail. It made it very clear why saddles built for men are not working for women - however, saddles for women will work for men. Go figure! Once again, it's easier for the guys. Life is definitely not fair :-)

Left is the male pelvis, right the female pelvis







No comments:

Post a Comment