Saturday, July 21, 2018

Our work gets checked - and our very own four-hooved alarm system

Remy and I were fortunate enough to pick up an extra lesson as another of Roz' students cancelled her lesson this week I thought it would be a good opportunity for Roz to check our work. It's one thing to see what's going on with horse and rider, but a skilled trainer also needs to feel from time to time what horse and rider are up to, as some things might not feel as they look or don't look like they feel (i.e. connection). 

Yes, I was a bit concerned, would Remy tattle on all my riding flaws? To my big relief Roz pronounced "he feels good!" when checking his controls. It was good that she felt him way more responsive to the leg (that's something we had been especially working on). Whew! And of course, when I got on Remy after Roz he felt amazing. Now all I had to do was keep it... no rest for the weary!

Speaking of tattling: JP and I had just sat down to dinner when we heard Saumur whinny quite determinedly. We wondered what was going on, me being me I asked JP if he had forgotten to feed Saumur his dinner? (Uh, my bad). Nope, no issues with the dinner, and it was too early for night hay. We decided to ignore Saumur, I know him so well that I knew that this was his angry/determined voice and not something related to pain (when he is in pain he is quiet, or at most grunts). 

Well, in addition to Saumur now taking his voice up a few notches the dogs started to bark, and we finally glimpsed at the cause of all the ruckus:  A bay butt next to the garage. What the heck?? It was Remy, happily grazing his way towards the house. He was calm and happy, perhaps wondering about his good fortune of being out while his buddies had to stay in their rooms. I looped a dog leash around his neck and let the vagabond back to the barn. As soon as Remy walked in Saumur stopped calling. 

Turns out *someone* didn't close Remy's stall door. Instead of wandering back to the pasture or out in the fenced in front of the barn Remy walked through the hay storage (who wants hay when there is grass on the other side??) and moseyed up to the house. Potential next stop on his list: Our couch-

Guess it's a good thing that we have our very own four-hooved alarm system in the barn: Saumur. No app for that, only need to provide plenty of treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment