Friday, January 11, 2019

"His hind legs need to leave first " - and we have a date for take-off

This is also what Brandt Clark said when we worked with him to get Remy over his fear reaction of bolting. Brandt put it like this "he is allowed to leave but he needs to leave with his hind legs first" (meaning he needs to push from behind and not swirl around on his forehand). 

Lisa now has been working with us on having me trusting Remy more ("what, I canter with my hands on his neck??"), and take my over-controlling down several notches. In return Remy has developed considerable more thrust from behind and he has more swing through his body (especially if I can keep that darn right arm under control). 

Remy is still very much tuned into the vibes of other horses. Yesterday we shared the arena with a clearly nervous horse and rider team, and the horse spooked several times. Remy eyed him a bit nervously but kept it together. The horse's last spook deposited the rider right in front of us (luckily she was OK). "Old" Remy would have spun and tried to run, "New" Remy stood and watched. I hope it is because he knows know that he can run away, and therefore he does not need to!

And... drumroll please... we do have a take-off date: Remy will be boarding the bus to White Fences on January 31. Now it's my turn to figure out MY trip. Roughly 1350 miles/2200 km going South. Based on recommendations from friends that have made the trip I plan on  two and a half days, it can be done in two days,  depends this on weather and traffic. I do have to beat  Remy's bus getting there so I can have everything ready for him. 

Sure wish JP would come with me - and not just because we'd make the trip in record time with him driving! (We would probably also have added 'entertainment' in the form of conversations with State Troopers along the way). 






No comments:

Post a Comment