Thursday, January 3, 2019

We do have to follow them?? - and #5 and #11 especially speak to me

Careful what you wish for - you might have to follow your husband in your lessons! (Needless to say, I am not good at following).  I say that with a twinkle in my eye to all the friends that wish their partners would ride.

Yes, today JP and I shared Lisa's gymnastics/hunt seat lesson. JP and Chambord took to it like ducks to water, especially Chambord once again proved that he worth his weight in gold - at least. When they had a little bobble over a cavaletti Chambord tried very hard not to lose his rider, and JP did a good job keeping his position so they were able to go on their merry way - and I was able to breathe again.

Chambord was so motivated that Lisa had Remy following him in order for Remy to lengthen his strides and really motor along. But hearing "follow your husband" netted an eye roll (or two) from me. But then Lisa had us do a small canter course on our own, and we were able to show off our flying changes. So I went from eye roll to big grin, but then in the back of my mind I had the dressage instructor's voice, admonishing me "not good, that was a Hunter change" (done with little collection). But as they say, when in Rome...

Interestingly, just after the lesson I saw this posting with tips from Ingrid Klimke and basically summarizes today's ride.  I love especially #'s 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.

1. Quiet with your hand use your fist not your whole arm.
2. Keep your horse out in front of you not underneath you.
3. All fingers have to be closed.
4. Do not give with the outside. The outside always stays. Only the inside gives.
5. Your half halt has to be more interesting than everything around your horse.
6. Put the spur away.
7. Diagonal aids. The outside rein holds and the inside leg pushes to the outside.
8. Supple the ribs.
9. Keep the rhythm with your rising.
10. Take give. Don't hold or pull too long.
11. You are not a passenger. You are responsible for your horses ride.
12. Stretch. And more stretching. It's good for him and he will like it.
13. Active from behind. More active.
14. Canter in the light seat.
15. Hands down, hands down, hands down.
16. Hands together, hands together, hands together


What's good for an Olympian should be good for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment