Sunday, June 21, 2020

Two steps forward, a setback - and Vatertag

All went well with Remy's rehab and he got cleared for last Thursday for tack walking. We gave it a bit more time, and set out on Friday for a gentle hack. I had crossed my fingers that Remy didn't have too much pent-up energy, but all went well. So far so good.

As the boys seemed settled nicely we decided to let Remy out with his friends - so not a good decision as it turned out. Chambord led the charge, galloping up the hill towards the barn, followed by Remy. Sure enough, the leg blew up and looked worse than when he first injured it. I was sick to my stomach with worry. I continued the icing/poulticing/Voltaren routine, and emailed the vet. Dr. Miller called back from her weekend off and advised to continue what I was doing. She didn't seem overly freaked out (well, I guess that comes with the territory - she needs to keep the worried horse mothers calm) and said she'll check in with us on Monday.

So Remy is back to social distancing, kept entertained by hay, and the frequent nurse visits to ice, poultice, bandage, and also to disperse the necessary horse cookies. He also is allowed to hand graze. I'm just happy that he is home, I don't know how I could have handled the care with the commute to a boarding stable. I've been busy working this weekend, and I think I saw my tallest client so far - this big boy exceeded 18 hands. Luckily for me he was a gentleman.

It's father's day today. I do miss Emil - a lot.

 Ziggy had a special father's day gift for JP:

Best Vizsla Ever :-) 
And some food for thought:

Don't let your ice cream melt because you are counting someone else's sprinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment