Monday, June 8, 2020

Upstairs Downstairs - and grateful for my work

We are on day 3 of stall-rest. So far, so good. Remy is keeping his wits together, and I'm trying to keep him entertained. Not easy. He is like a little kid that sees his friends playing in the street and he has to stay indoors, looking out the window.

I'm shuttling between house and barn, good thing it's walking distance! It really reminds me of the Upstairs Downstairs (or Downton Abbey without the intrigues) scenario, where I'm definitely Downstairs, waiting for the bell to ring. Don't get me wrong, I'm writing this tongue in cheek!

When I hosed the poultice off this morning the leg already looked better, less swelling. I'm definitely becoming a pro at poulticing and wrapping. Of course, as luck would have it, I now have to send the two rental bits back without trying them. And his new bridle arrived, so at least I can fit it, but we won't know if he likes it. These, of course, are very, very minor issues. To be honest, it's good for me to fret about those a bit because when I look at what's happening in this country … there is not enough of Emil's Schnapps left to get me through this. Perhaps I should ask JP to build us an Ark??

I'm so happy that I can work and I have great clients. My jumper clients on Saturday made my day, especially one young, and very tall and powerful Warmblood. In his first session a few weeks ago I was relieved to just being able to get out of his stall unscathed, and this time he was like a little puppy dog during the entire session, just loving it. Very cool!

The company I used to work for had a reduction in work force, and some of my former sales team members were laid off. I have been helping with resume reviews, and also trying to find connections for them within my client base. It's interesting to see how different personalities are coping with this, and I do admit that I haven't mellowed much with people, especially those that don't show any drive and go the 'poor me' route: The short fuse (that's Schachtelteufel for you, Stephanie!) is still there.

Luckily, this only applies to my human interactions. The great benefit of working with horses now: I am completely calm, relaxed and tuned into my equine clients - bet JP sometimes wishes I'd see him as a horse :-)

"Hey, can I try your beer? Whaddya reading?"
Hanging out with Remy in the outdoor arena (during a break from his stall rest)






No comments:

Post a Comment